1.09.2012

Health Nudge: Move Out of Your Comfort Zone

For the past couple of months, I've been reading up on and trying healthier ways of eating. The start of it was absolutely horrible - I had to give up on a majority of things I used to eat (and eat things I didn't like) on a daily basis! I read articles, books, blogs, anything I could get my hands on...and ended up totally overwhelmed. How and where was I going to start?! First and foremost, I had to move out of my comfort zone. One of the problems with our diets today is that most of us have a routine of going to our neighborhood supermarket; we only see what they offer, and probably buy and eat the same things every week. Well folks, there's a whole different world of  veggies, fruits, spices, and alternative products available out there - it just takes a little extra effort to get them! Local farmers markets are one of the best places to go for variety and FRESH produce. As for stores, I generally prefer Mother's Market, Sprouts (formerly Henry's?), and Trader Joe's.


Something I found interesting and extremely beneficial: the detox tea. It sounds a little bit intimidating, but it's wonderful and super easy to make! Ingredients you'll need: hot water, lemon, ginger, and cayenne pepper.


First, you'll want to cut a slice of ginger. I broke them up into smaller pieces, but leaving it is fine, too. It's all about preference!


Next, slice the lemon in half.

After getting those two prepared, put the ginger in a cup you'll be using and pour in the hot water. Wait until the temperature is OK for drinking, and squeeze in all of the lemon juice (don't put the actual lemon in!). Add a dash of cayenne pepper, and you're good to go.

Easy, right?

The combination of ginger and cayenne pepper is a little potent at first, but stick with it! If you find it too harsh, you could also add in a little bit of natural sweetener. 

Benefits:
- Boosts your immune system.
- Promotes blood circulation.
- Anti-viral properties help with colds.
- Flushes out toxins from your body.
- Perfect for winter.

Finding natural remedies for health issues are like finding treasures, to me. I'm a huge advocate and believer of natural medicine. Why put harmful chemicals in your body, when mother nature already provides what you need? :)

That said, eating healthy doesn't mean living in deprivation. If you want to eat ice cream, go for it. If you want to eat a cookie, by all means. Give yourself a little room to cheat, as long as you're eating clean and healthy for the most part! As hard as it was at the beginning, it's almost become second nature by now. I've noticed marginal improvements to my health, so I definitely encourage you to try. You owe it to yourself and your body, don't make excuses! 





No comments:

Post a Comment